ISE Session - Euroscience Forum 2014
Science advocacy and campaigning -
Mobilising the research communities to stand up for an increased research budget and better science policies.
24 June 2014
Euroscience Room at the Euroscience Open Forum 2014, Copenhagen
In the struggle for the EU budget framework 2014-20, the scientific community was vocal as never before. Following an open letter from 44 Nobel Laureates, more than 153'000 citizens signed a petition to the EU leaders which was handed over to the three EU presidents and the French president. We will reflect both successes and limits of campaigning for the future. What will be the next campaigns? Can we mobilise a million people to be successful with a European Citizen Initiative?
13:30 - 14:00: Presentations to spark the debate
- Wolfgang Eppenschwandtner, ISE: "The No-Cuts-On-Research.EU campaign "
- Alan Leshner, AAAS Chief Executive Officer: "Science advocacy in the US".
14:00 - 14:45: Panel Debate,
- Thomas König, Euroscience
- Alan Leshner, AAAS Chief Executive Officer,
- Sile Lane, Director of campaigns, 'Sense about Science'
- Andre Mischke, Young Academy of Europe
The session is a satellite event to the Euroscience Open Forum (ESOF) 2014. To attend, please register for ESOF